Version(s) of Unicode supported by various versions of Microsoft Windows

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 08:35:42 EST

    Hi folks,

    I discovered, to much of my surprise (but after reflexion it does hold much
    sense, taken in account the dates when it were developped), that Windows
    2000 only support The Unicode Standard, version 2.0
    <URL:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;227483>

    The question, I was unable to find a similar information refering to Windows
    NT version 5.1 and 5.2.

    Certainly people here may direct me to the correct place to find it. Thanks
    in advance.

    (Please, do not tell me "it supports 4.0 since you can view 4.0 provided you
    use the correct browser and the correct fonts"; that is NOT what I want to
    know. I am interested for example in sorting strings with surrogates; seeing
    that in a typical WinXP distribution, %SYSTEM32%/SORTKEYS.NLS is still 256k
    like it was with NT3.x, shows me that this one would not support Unicode
    3.1, for instance).

    A similar query has been directed to Dr. International
    <URL:http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/drintl/askdrintl.aspx>

    Antoine