Re: Version(s) of Unicode supported by various versions of Microsoft Windows

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 09:16:42 EST

    This is one of those really hard to define questions, given how many pieces
    actually define what gets bundled under the term "Windows." The KB article
    is not being entirely fair by taking the lowest level that exists and
    assuming that the entire platform must be designed that way. Given that core
    Windows fonts and collation tables include charcacters allocated after 2.0,
    there are clearly pieces of Windows that support later versions.

    What is fair to say is that Windows 2000 supports between Unicode 2.0 and
    3.1, depending on what are of Windows you refer to.

    For sortkey.nls -- that file does not ever change in size, as it is not a
    file that one adds characters to. I suppose if you wanted to look to file
    sizes to indicate additions you could look to sorttbls.nls, locale.nls,
    unicode.nls, ctype.nls, and the various font files. But file size without
    understanding what the file does still seems like a crude way to determine
    complexity.

    --
    MichKa [MS]
    NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development