Re: Version(s) of Unicode supported by various versions of Microsoft Windows

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 17:40:55 EST

    On 05/03/2004 13:43, Peter Constable wrote:

    >>From: Peter Kirk [mailto:peterkirk@qaya.org]
    >>

    >>for %Y in ("Product %X\functions\*.*") do ask "Can product %X
    >>

    >correctly
    >

    >>perform function %Y on all characters in Unicode version %N?"
    >>
    >>Perhaps a mechanism is needed to AND together the answers for each
    >>product. If the result is TRUE, product %X might be considered to
    >>support Unicode version %N.
    >>

    >Well, I don't think there's much need to go through the exercise: I can
    >tell you right now there is no product anywhere for which the result of
    >that query would be TRUE, for any value of %N. Nor would I necessarily
    >expect there ever to be.

    What, not even a product whose only functions are to convert between
    Unicode encoding forms? I can see that there are likely always to be
    limitations in rendering of complex scripts (and possibly in the
    practical size of fonts), and no single keyboard layout will support
    every character. But surely we can expect some time proper and complete
    implementations of the various Unicode algorithms; and as for most other
    processing, if it can handle one Unicode character (or at least one
    supplementary plane character) it can handle them all. (Note that my
    definition does not require a function to fail for non-characters!)

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)