Re: OT? Languages with letters that always take diacriticals

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 11:33:32 EST

    On 16/03/2004 07:14, Jon Hanna wrote:

    >The dot in the Latin lower-case letter i is not a diacritical though; there is
    >no diacritical in "icicle" or on the i in "bord gáis" (it is in
    >Turkish, hence the distinction between i with and without dots for both capital
    >and lower-case letters).

    I don't think the dot on the Turkish i should be considered a
    diacritical either, except in a purely graphical sense; but then a
    purely graphical sense cannot be language dependent. To Turks, i is a
    separate letter of the alphabet (and sorted as such), not a variant of
    dotless i. And there is no language-specific Unicode decomposition to
    dotless i plus dot.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)