Re: [OT] Freedom and organization (was RE: help needed with adding ne w character)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 06:23:49 EST

    On 19/03/2004 02:04, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    >Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    >

    >>Why is an Anarchist asking to standardize something?
    >>

    >Why not!? Can you elaborate on this? Myself, I am an anarchist sympathizer,
    >and I have been deeply interested in a character encoding standard for
    >nearly ten years now...
    >
    >Anarchism is against imposing forms of organization, non against
    >organization itself. And standards are quite like the useful side of laws
    >(the organization) without the harmful side (the imposition), so they should
    >be welcome to anarchists.
    >
    >Obedience to laws can only be imposed with violence by a parasitical clique
    >(cops, tribunals), whereas compliance to standards is achieved solely by the
    >intrinsic usefulness and quality of the standard's design.
    >
    >_ Marco

    But I guess anarchists would prefer the W3C kind of standard in which
    each participant gets an equal vote to ones like Unicode which are
    defined in practice by a consortium of large corporations - although in
    principle an individual anarchist could buy voting rights. Come to think
    of it, a not very large group of them with a bit of money behind them
    could buy enough votes to outvote the corporations and destroy Unicode -
    which they couldn't do in the W3C model.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)