Re: vertical direction control

From: Thomas Kuehne (thomas@kuehne.cn)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 21:09:21 EST

    Am Mittwoch 24 März 2004 00:09 schrieb Asmus Freytag:
    > >Is somebody already using a PUA assignment for vertical text
    > > direction controls?

    > I think the idea was that these don't belong in plain text.
    > Markup languages have had vertical layout controls forever.

    The problem arose at very resource limited devices, thus no HTML nor
    RTF etc.. In fact there is no higher level protocol other than plain
    strings/text.

    While crawling through the Pango and SilGraphite rendering engines I
    noticed that they provide(or are planning to) an interface for
    vertical text.
    For CJK, old European in-scripts and especially Egyptian hieroglyphs
    it would be good to have a common control set - otherwise plain text
    can't be used for data exchange.

    Thomas Kuehne