Re: What is the principle?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 10:32:15 EST

    From: "Asmus Freytag" <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>
    > Variation selectors are not unassigned characters.

    And must not be used after unassigned characters as well...

    But can we use them after PUAs, to render specific variants of characters in
    specialized fonts made for scripts without a current standard?
    Or should we encode all these variants as plain PUAs as well?

    I think for example about the 2 or 3 variants that exist for most of the 195
    Mende-Kikakui syllables... (Of course we can encode all of them separately but
    there may exist some rule to infer which variant to use, or some local
    usages/preferences for the recognizable glyph).