Re: Printing and Displaying Dependent Vowels

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 13:11:02 EST

    Antoine Leca scripsit:

    > I am sorry John, I should have miss a post of yours. I asked you where it is
    > written, and did not find any answer to this; unless someone consider that
    > all marks, including spacing combining vowels, are "(European) diacritics".

    Well, it depends on what the equivoque "combining marks" in the title of
    Section 7.7 means. This is where (p. 187) the remarks about SP and NBSP
    appear:

    # Marks as Spacing Characters. By convention, combining marks may be exhibited
    # in (apparent) isolation by applying them to U+0020 SPACE or to U+00A0 NO-BREAK
    # SPACE. This approach might be taken, for example, when referring to the
    # diacritical mark itself as a mark, rather than using it in its normal way
    # in text. The use of U+0020 SPACE versus U+00A0 NO-BREAK SPACE affects line
    # breaking behavior.
    #
    # In charts and illustrations in this standard, the combining nature of these
    # marks is illustrated by applying them to a dotted circle, as shown in the
    # examples throughout this standard.
    #
    # The Unicode Standard separately encodes clones of many common European
    # diacritical marks as spacing characters. These related characters are
    # cross-referenced in the character names list.

    So assuming that "combining mark" means "combinining character" rather than
    "non-spacing mark" (the term does not appear in the Glossary), it seems that
    combining vowels should work fine with SP or NBSP. The reference to "European
    diacriticals" plainly applies only to the various spacing diacriticals, some
    of which are grandfathered in by ASCII or Latin-1.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
    "In computer science, we stand on each other's feet."