Re: Printing and Displaying Dependent Vowels

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 04:10:36 EST

    On Monday, March 29, 2004 8:11 PM
    John Cowan va escriure:

    > Well, it depends on what the equivoque "combining marks" in the title
    > of Section 7.7 means.

    Ah! This is the place where I did not seek into! (It was not obvious to me
    that text about the dependent vowel marks has to be searched into the
    European alphabetical scripts section! But as Ken pointed out elsewhere, I
    should have known better: Obviously, one must know the whole standard text,
    and the history of it, before making any assumption about signification of
    any given section: after all, this is not an ISO standard.)

    Many thanks John for pointing this out.

    > This is where (p. 187) the remarks about SP and NBSP appear:
    >
    > # Marks as Spacing Characters. By convention, combining marks may be

    OK, this one says it should applies to all combining, and does not make any
    distinction between spacing and nonspacing. So the issue appears now clear
    (and we implementers of rendering tools have now work to do, haven't we?)

    Now I will fill erratum reports for all the discording things I have found.

    Antoine