Re: Fixed Width Spaces (was: Printing and Displaying DependentVowels)

From: Séamas Ó Brógáin (leabhair@iol.ie)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 04:50:09 EST

    Peter Kirk wrote:

    > But, as Ken has just clarified, with NBSP Louis' neck may be stretched
    > rather uncomfortably, if not cut completely. Here is what I don't want
    > to see (fixed width font required):
    >
    > Louis XVI was
    > guillotined in
    > 1793.
    >
    > Here is what I do want:
    >
    > Louis XVI was
    > guillotined in
    > 1793.

    Well, I _am_ a typographer; and in my opinion Peter's first example
    (allowing for the exaggerated spaces) is perfectly correct, and his
    second example is not. The idea of using spaces of different width to
    convey different meanings within a sentence is unprecedented and,
    frankly, absurd.

    Séamas
    ------