Re: Fixed Width Spaces (was: Printing and Displaying DependentVowels)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 04:52:08 EST

    From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    > I disagree. Surely there is something SEMANTICALLY different about the
    > space in "Louis XVI". One semantic difference is that it is
    > non-breaking. But another one is that these words should not be split
    > apart. An additional semantic distinction might be that they should be
    > treated as one word for the purposes of word breaking algorithms.

    Are there such semantics for common people names and first names and titles?
    A bas les privilèges! coupons la tête à ces idées préconçues!
    Kings and other nobility don't need special treatments, because authors will
    argue that they insist their full name not being splitted or broken across
    lines. Same thing for trademarks and company names like "Vivendi Universal", or
    why not on country names like "Sri Lanka", which are considered unbreakable as
    each part of the compound word have equal importance...

    Here what I mean is that if one wants to really avoid line breaks or extra word
    spacing, this is part of a style decision, but not part of the plain-text
    itself. If you mean that we need a "SPACE LETTER" to avoid this extra inter-word
    spacing or word breaking or line breaks, may be this could simply be added with
    a space having a "Lo" general category (and that may be useful as thre base for
    isolated diacritics that may appear in the middle of words, for example a
    apostrophe diacritic on top of this space letter).

    I would not militate for describing a specific handling of nobility names in
    Unicode.