Re: Fixed Width Spaces (was: Printing and Displaying DependentVowels)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 15:39:48 EST

    Alexander Savenkov suggested:

    > Why not? I think Peter needs a good book on typesetting to find out
    > what is inserted inserted between "Louis" and "XIV". In this case IIRC
    > there should be the following sequence: Louis,ZWNBSP,SP,ZWNBSP,XIV.

    Uh, no. <ZWNBSP, SPACE, ZWNBSP> is equivalent to <NBSP>. In either
    case, the SPACE or the NBSP would be (potentially) subject to
    justification which would change their width.

    The argument was about how (or whether) to constrain the space
    between "Louis" and "XIV" to a *fixed* width under certain
    assumptions about justification. To do that, you would need to
    use a *fixed*-width space as a starting point (and then hope that
    the justification algorithm used for rendering doesn't ignore
    or override your choice, anyway).

    --Ken