Re[2]: Fixed Width Spaces (was: Printing and Displaying DependentVowels)

From: Alexander Savenkov (savenkov@xmlhack.ru)
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 06:22:14 EST

    > Alexander Savenkov suggested:

    >> Why not? I think Peter needs a good book on typesetting to find out
    >> what is inserted inserted between "Louis" and "XIV". In this case IIRC
    >> there should be the following sequence: Louis,ZWNBSP,SP,ZWNBSP,XIV.

    Kenneth Whistler replied:

    > Uh, no. <ZWNBSP, SPACE, ZWNBSP> is equivalent to <NBSP>. In either
    > case, the SPACE or the NBSP would be (potentially) subject to
    > justification which would change their width.

    > The argument was about how (or whether) to constrain the space
    > between "Louis" and "XIV" to a *fixed* width under certain
    > assumptions about justification. To do that, you would need to
    > use a *fixed*-width space as a starting point (and then hope that
    > the justification algorithm used for rendering doesn't ignore
    > or override your choice, anyway).

    First of all, you don’t want a fixed-width space in this particular
    case, just a non-breaking one (ask the typesetters).

    A fixed-width space is desirable in cases like:

    “As he was setting the ion gun in place, his fingers had slipped
    through the portal—ordinarily no problem, but this morning his hip
    had also brushed the toggle switch on the control panel at the left
    of the portal.”

    You’d type “portal,ZWNBSP,THIN SP,ZWNBSP,EM DASH,THIN SP,ordinarily”.

    Alexander.

    --
      Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/
      savenkov@xmlhack.ru             http://www.xmlhack.ru/authors/croll/