Re[4]: Fixed Width Spaces (was: Printing and Displaying Depen dentVowels)

From: Alexander Savenkov (savenkov@xmlhack.ru)
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 06:22:48 EST

    Hello,

    2004-04-03T02:01:34+03:00 /|/|ike Ayers <mike.ayers@tumbleweed.com> wrote:

    >> That is arguable. An aural user agent could pronounce "1, 2, 3" a bit
    >> different from "1, 2, 3" if there is a (say) thin space between the
    >> digits in the latter case. It could pronounce it quicker, for example.

    >         It *could* do that, but, frankly, that would be a bad
    > idea.  Speech synthesis devices have enough trouble with plain text
    > as it is - adding special interpretation for neo-markup characters
    > would just make things worse.  This belongs in the realm of
    > (surprise!) markup.

    I wonder why you call them neo-markup characters while they have been
    used for years, not on the Web of course. Speech synthesizers have to
    learn how to read (or at least skip) those characters in order to
    facilitate listening comprehension just like a proof-read book
    facilitates visual comprehension.

    >         This seems to be international
    > let's-merge-markup-into-plaintext month.

    I'm not one of these.

    Alexander.

    --
      Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/