Re[4]: Fixed Width Spaces (was: Printing and Displaying DependentVowels)

From: Alexander Savenkov (savenkov@xmlhack.ru)
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 06:24:59 EST

    2004-04-03T02:34:38+03:00 D. Starner <shalesller@writeme.com> wrote:

    >> > It only affects its (visual) aesthetic
    >> > quality.
    >>
    >> That is arguable. An aural user agent could pronounce "1, 2, 3" a bit
    >> different from "1, 2, 3" if there is a (say) thin space between the
    >> digits in the latter case. It could pronounce it quicker, for example.

    > And it could read it as "thin space", too.

    Yeah, and it could read it as “all your base are belong to us”. And
    your browser renders it as a hollow square. Hey, and my cat can’t read
    it at all. What’s the point of this?

    > But it's questionable if any
    > speech reader is going to try and interpret such ambiguous and rarely
    > used characters specially.

    As I already have said in another message, they’re not that ambiguous
    and rarely used. If someone misuses them, that’s his problem.

    > Even if it does, that doesn't make it plain
    > text; italics and <q speaker="Holmes"> can be interpreted by speech
    > readers much more usefully, but are clearly not plain text.

    You can’t markup everything just like you can’t make everything
    plain text. I’ve no objections to <q speaker="Holmes">. That’s just
    another level.

    Alexander.

    --
      Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/