Re: Fixed Width Spaces (was: Printing and Displaying DependentVowels)

From: Arcane Jill (arcanejill@ramonsky.com)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 07:24:59 EST

    Of course, back in the days of the ZX80 (a device which, by the way, had
    its own custom, non-ASCII character set) and its offshoots, there was
    indeed a SPACE LETTER - a character which /looked/ like a space, but
    /acted/ like a letter, so "Louis XVI" could be made to count as a
    /single word/. It would never line-break. Of course, on the ZX80, all
    characters were fixed-width, but if we /imagine/ a proportional font
    with the same properties, it is clear that SPACE LETTER would no more
    stretch or shrink than would the letter 'K'.

    Whether or not this would be useful to Unicode is another matter
    entirely, but it sounds good to me, so I'll raise it for discussion.
    Phillippe's idea does have precedent.
    Arcane Jill