Re: Fixed Width Spaces (was: Printing and Displaying DependentVowels)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 01:55:19 EST

    Arcane Jill wrote:

    > Of course, back in the days of the ZX80 (a device which, by the way,
    > had its own custom, non-ASCII character set) and its offshoots, there
    > was indeed a SPACE LETTER - a character which looked like a space,
    > but acted like a letter, so "Louis XVI" could be made to count as a
    > single word. It would never line-break. Of course, on the ZX80, all
    > characters were fixed-width, but if we imagine a proportional font
    > with the same properties, it is clear that SPACE LETTER would no more
    > stretch or shrink than would the letter 'K'.

    Which character was that? I thought the ZX80 had essentially the same
    character set as the ZX81, which had SPACE at 0x00 and no other space
    character that I can find.

    The ZX81 (known in the U.S. as the Timex Sinclair 1000) had several
    types of "characters" -- some were ordinary graphic characters; others
    were controls, like NEWLINE and RUBOUT; others were BASIC keywords, like
    INKEY$ and GOSUB; then there were the bizarre controls that determined
    what mode the cursor was in (Literal, Keyword, Graphics, or Function).
    But I can't imagine any of the graphic characters having "properties" in
    the Unicode sense such as Jill describes. Concepts like word-counting
    and line-breaking were implemented on an app-by-app basis, if at all.
    And maybe it's just my lack of creative thinking, but I certainly can't
    imagine a proportional font on a ZX80 or ZX81 -- not on that blocky
    24-line screen!

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/