Re: Fixed Width Spaces (was: Printing and Displaying DependentVowels)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 06:25:56 EST

    On 01/04/2004 22:55, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >...And maybe it's just my lack of creative thinking, but I certainly can't
    >imagine a proportional font on a ZX80 or ZX81 -- not on that blocky
    >24-line screen!

    Stretching of spaces does not depend on having a proportional font. On
    modern systems spaces are stretched in justified text even if the font
    is fixed space - try Courier New on Windows. The ZX8* probably could not
    even do that, as I guess characters had to be placed in a grid. But I
    remember from even before those days (but on a mainframe) a program
    which would justify printed text in a grid, by a real line printer, by
    replacing single spaces by double or triple as necessary. A fixed width
    space would presumably resist this kind of stretching by multiplication,
    as well as the neater incremental stretching of more sophisticated systems.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)