Re: French typographic thin space (was: Fixed Width Spaces)

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 07:41:18 EST

    Patrick Andries wrote:

    >>Asmus Freytag <asmus@unicode.org> a écrit :
    >>
    >> Have you folks noticed the addition of Narrow Non Break Space?
    >
    >Yes, but I have not been able to find a font with a narrow enough glyph
    >(I just looked again at Code 2000).
    >
    >Does anyone know of an appropriate font for French in this regard ?

    Code2000 and Doulos SIL both have NNBSP, which in both cases is narrower than
    Space and NBSP, although Code2000 is the narrowest. Mind you, if I recall
    correctly, in printed Mongolian texts the space that NNBSP is meant to represent
    isn't appreciably thinner than an ordinary space, so maybe it shouldn't be too
    narrow.

    The problem with newly introduced characters such as NNBSP, is that although
    they may in theory be just what you're looking for, you know that you can't
    actually use them on web pages as all the standard fonts (Arial, Times New
    Roman, or dare I say Comic Sans) will display a little rectangular box, which is
    worse than nothing. And then because nobody uses it the major font vendors don't
    see any point in adding support for the character ... vicious circle.

    Andrew