Re: [hebrew] Re: Draft proposal for Unicode encoding of holam male

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 11:21:54 EDT

    From: "John Hudson" <tiro@tiro.com>

    > Would ZWNJ perform the same function?
    >
    > If the intent is that the holam be associated with the vav rather than the
    preceding
    > letter, it seems to me that a control character that does not suggest joining
    or combining
    > with the preceding letter would be tidier. I realise that from a processing
    perspective it
    > might be irrelevant, but it would be nice if the names of these control
    characters still
    > suggested something about their use.

    Yes, but the two options need to be coinsidered with the possible caveats with
    existing implementations. I don't know which is better for collation purpose (I
    was said that CGJ should never be rendered, but just used to control and avoid
    canonical reordering, which is why I proposed it: it is not really part of the
    sequence, but is just inserted to avoid the normalization caveat, so a renderer
    whould just skip over it after normalization, and a renderer that performs
    normalization first could then process the string assuming a consistent order of
    sequences, without having to consider the case of CGJ).

    Also ZWNJ suggests a break which may cause caveats as holam male is expected to
    occur in the middle or at end of a word, and any attempt to isolate it from the
    beginning of the word would be disastrous. Is ZWNJ creating a break opportunity?
    I need to recheck its status in the existing Unicode reference then.