Re: Downloading UCD 4.0.0

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 14:38:42 EDT

    Theo Venker asked:

    > Until now I always downloaded the lastest version of the UCD
    > and worked with that. Now I want to download the UCD files for
    > 4.0.0 again. I know it is all in http://www.unicode.org/Public/-
    > 4.0-Update/,

    That is an incorrect assumption.

    > but in http://www.unicode.org/ucd/ I read this:
    >
    > "The complete set of all files for a given version of the UCD
    > consists of the files in the update directory for that version,
    > together with all the files unchanged from earlier versions,
    > which are kept in their respective update directories."
    >
    > Do I really need to find out and download all unchanged files
    > from 3.2.0 and earlier, just to get the files for 4.0.0?

    Yes. The relevant information for *each* version of the
    Unicode Standard is at:

    http://www.unicode.org/standard/Versions/enumeratedversions.html

    As it happens, almost *every* data file was updated for
    Unicode 4.0, so almost everything is available specifically
    in http://www.unicode.org/Public/4.0-Update/ The only
    normative files that were unchanged from an earlier version were:

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/3.2-Update/Jamo-3.2.0.txt
    http://www.unicode.org/Public/3.2-Update/Unihan-3.2.0.zip

    Of course, the update for Unihan.txt was one of the main reasons
    for the Unicode 4.0.1 release.

    The only other file that was unchanged was the character index
    to the book:

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/3.2-Update/Index-3.2.0.txt

    which, for production reasons, was not updated again until the
    release of Unicode 4.0.1.

    --Ken