Re: Downloading UCD 4.0.0

From: Theo Veenker (Theo.Veenker@let.uu.nl)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 03:04:44 EDT

    Asmus Freytag wrote:
    > At 08:42 AM 4/19/2004, Theo Veenker wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Until now I always downloaded the lastest version of the UCD
    >> and worked with that. Now I want to download the UCD files for
    >> 4.0.0 again. I know it is all in http://www.unicode.org/Public/-
    >> 4.0-Update/, but in http://www.unicode.org/ucd/ I read this:
    >>
    >> "The complete set of all files for a given version of the UCD
    >> consists of the files in the update directory for that version,
    >> together with all the files unchanged from earlier versions,
    >> which are kept in their respective update directories."
    >>
    >> Do I really need to find out and download all unchanged files
    >> from 3.2.0 and earlier, just to get the files for 4.0.0?
    >

    > Yes.

    :-(

    > And depending on what version of the UCD you are trying to piece
    > together you may need potentially versions of some files from several
    > earlier updates.
    >
    > A./
    >
    > PS: we are looking into ways to make access to older versions
    > more straightforward.

    Please do! In the current situation if you have a UCD parser which
    only handles a particular Unicode version, the set of required input
    files for this parser is more or less taken away when a new Unicode
    version is released. This makes it difficult to share such software.
    It is good to gently push developers to use the latest release, but
    making it hard to use an earlier release is IMO counter-productive.

    Theo