Re: [OT] Even viruses are now i18n!

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 06:26:16 EDT

    On Friday, April 23, 2004 2:08 AM, Philippe Verdy va escriure:

    > From: "Antoine Leca"
    >> On Thursday, April 22, 2004 7:14 PM
    >> Peter Kirk va escriure:
    >>
    >>> The virus writers have presumably confused
    >>> .tc and .tk
    >>
    >> .TR for Turkey. .TK (Tokelau) is not more sensible
    >
    > Or is that [tk] for Turkmen (the language code in ISO 639-1)?
    > Not to confuse with [tr], the ISO 639-1 code for the Turkish
    > language...

    The virus cannot have any knowledge of a language code. And much less of the
    language used by its next victim...

    > May be it's time to get into the new CLDR repository if you don't have one
    of
    > the many copies of the ISO 3166 country/territory codes list, and of the
    ISO 639
    > language codes, and the ongoing ISO 3066 locale codes?

    Thanks for the advice. When I finally succeed at resurrecting my 1995 disk
    that hold a copy of Keld's repository, I will try to make profit of it.

    BTW, my own copy of 3166 is in fact derived from an rewrite of 4217, as
    found in TDED, as used in EDI. It is a beautiful copy on green paper sheets.
    It is dated 1986, IIRC. So it probably predates all these "new"
    repositories, sorry Keld ;-).

    > Never forget that language codes and country/territory codes are
    different...

    We were speaking about ccTLD. A different beast. Try to resolve ANYTHING.GB.
    on a root server, or alternatively to seek UK in ISO 3166, to understand
    what I mean.

    Antoine