Re: Common Locale Data Repository Project

From: Hideki Hiura - hiura@openi18n.org (hiura@Sun.COM)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 06:06:47 EDT

    > From: "Peter Constable" <petercon@microsoft.com>
    > > due to the strong perception of OpenI18N.org as
    > > opensource/Linux advocates, even though CLDR project is not
    > > specifically bound to Linux.
    > It is hard to look at OpenI18N.org's spec and not get the impression
    > that all of that group's projects are not bound to some flavour of Unix.

    We understand what you mean. Sometime perception is very important,
    and that's why we thought it was a good idea to transfer CLDR.

    As we started as Linux Internationalization Initiative(li18nux.org) and
    later changed name and charter as OpenI18N.org to accommodate wider
    platforms and platform neutral I18N technology developments, any
    projects at OpenI18N.org are not limited to Linux/Unix.

    > CLDR doesn't have to be tied to any particular platform -- after all,
    > it's just a collection of data.

    Yup! So hopefully this move would help more parties to join the
    projects.
    That would definitely help global interoperability for all platforms
    and help everybody.

    > But I don't think you can honestly say that OpenI18N isn't tied to a
    > particular family of platforms

    Most of our current projects are mainly for some flavour of Unix,
    since most of the participants' expertise and interests are for those
    platforms but we are not limited nor have to be bound to them.

    The only requirement for the projects in OpenI18N.org is to be open to
    everyone, to be developed in open process and to be opensourced.

    For example, one of the projects I run, the platform neutral
    multilingual distributed Unicode input method framework, IIIMF, runs
    on Windows as well, and I honestly hope Microsoft to adapt to IIIMF in
    the future release of Windows, so that we can unite unicode input
    method framework regardless of platform.

    Best Regards,

    --
    hiura@{freestandards.org,OpenI18N.org,li18nux.org,unicode.org,sun.com}
    Chair, OpenI18N.org/The Free Standards Group          http://www.OpenI18N.org