Re: Proposal to add 2 Romanian characters

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 20:58:27 EDT

    From: "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr>

    > I agree with that, except that it would require changing common typist
    methods
    > even for characters that don't cause them problems today.

    No one is talking about changing existing items -- the question is about
    these new characters thay cannot be represented aas precomposed formsd.
    Legacy is not of a concern for characters that never existed in legacy
    encodings....

    <snip a bit made irrelevant by the above>

    It is of note that these characters are reportdely not used in the language
    itself, but only in dictionaries for pronunciation info. If this is true
    then this would be akin to needing IPA on the US English keyboard for the
    sake of dictionaries -- in other words it would not be needed on the
    Romanian keyboard (which probably explains why these items are not there
    now, why there is no precomposed form in legacy standards, and why there is
    no actual need to add these characters now).

    MichKa [MS]
    NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development