Re: Proposal to add 2 Romanian characters

From: Cristian Secarã (orice@secarica.ro)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 22:03:30 EDT

    It seems I have to give up.
    I agree that the [modern] Unicode approach is this one described here -
    the concept of "on-line" character composing, but It's way too early.

    John Hudson's solution sounds good, but I don't see how can I put all
    this in practice on my keyboard (again, I am speaking about the
    principle and not about my very personal keyboard :)

    As once MichKa told - and I agree with him - "it is better not to mix
    multiple types of technologies".
    In this case, I don't think I will mix the existing dead keys approach
    (i.e multiple keystrokes make a single code point) with ligatures
    approach (i.e. key stroke makes multiple code points).
    Converting all dead keys to ligatures is also not possible (there are
    too many) and there are some frequently used composed characters that
    would interfere this way with legacy applications that uses 8 bit
    codepages.

    I cannot ruin a working thing just because of the new technology of 1
    character (well, 2 characters if caps considered).

    For the limited need of a few phylology-oriented printed books in
    Romanian language, perhaps the existing solution will survive: the use
    of brute force.
    That means -> take the font -> look for an unused ASCII character ->
    change its glyph to the desired one -> voilá, it works, it's pure 7 bit
    encoding and so it works with *any* application. The book I mentioned
    in my first message in this thread was build using this method - I
    asked the people who made it, how they made it.

    Thanks anyway for all your suggestions.
    Best wishes,
        Cristi