Re: Proposal to add 2 Romanian characters

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 22:22:50 EDT

    Cristian Secar wrote:

    > For the limited need of a few phylology-oriented printed books in
    > Romanian language, perhaps the existing solution will survive: the use
    > of brute force.
    > That means -> take the font -> look for an unused ASCII character ->
    > change its glyph to the desired one -> voil?, it works, it's pure 7 bit
    > encoding and so it works with *any* application. The book I mentioned
    > in my first message in this thread was build using this method - I
    > asked the people who made it, how they made it.

    If you're not intending to electronically exchange or publish the text, only to prepare
    for print, there's nothing terribly wrong with this approach. My colleague Luc(as) de
    Groot calls this kind of encoding hack 'masquerading', which I think is a good term. For
    printed material of an esoteric nature, e.g. a study of Croatian prosody for which I
    prepared a masquerading font a few years ago, it is often the simplest approach.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com