Re: Romanian and Cyrillic

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 07:41:13 EDT

    On Tuesday, April 27, 2004 9:25 PM Peter Constable wrote:

    >How relevant is Romanian in Cyrillic script at this point? For instance,
    >what's the likelihood that someone might want to put Romanian-Cyrillic
    >content on the web? Already being done? A reasonable possibility?
    >Extremely unlikely?

    I don't know much about Romanian, so I may have got hold of completely the wrong
    end of the stick, but I was always under the impression that Romanian was
    written in the Cyrillic script prior to the mid 19th-century (which always seems
    to be given as the reason why the Romance affiliation of the language was not
    recognised until comparatively late).

    For example, at http://www.lmp.ucla.edu/profiles/profr01.htm :

    ORTHOGRAPHY
    Romanian is written in a Roman alphabet that was instituted in 1859. Prior to
    that it was written in a Cyrillic alphabet introduced into Romanian via Old
    Church Slavic, the language for religious texts. The Roman alphabet now used in
    Romanian employs diacritics over certain vowels. In addition, a cedilla is used
    under the letters s and t to represent [sh] and [ts], respectively. Cyrillic
    continues to be used for Moldavian, which is treated as a separate language
    largely for political reasons.

    If this is true, I imagine that there would be a high probability of someone
    wanting to create Cyrillic Romanian web content.

    Andrew