Re: Defined Private Use was: SSP default ignorable characters

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 16:38:54 EDT

    On 28/04/2004 12:29, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    >

    >>Software developers, or applications, are not supposed to be party to
    >>the agreement between *users*.
    >>

    >Do you say there that software developers are failing to comply with Unicode
    >rules by refusing to develop systems that allow *users* to make such private
    >private agreements and use the PUAs effectively as they are legitimately in
    >right to ask to their software developers?

    No, I have not said this. An implementation which doesn't support the
    PUA at all, or which only supports a few characters defined by itself,
    is compliant. I might say that an implementation which claims to support
    the PUA should do so, at least with the defined default properties,
    independently of any specific agreement between end users.

    >Interesting point. This would be an argument for the developement (out of
    >Unicode) of some standard technical solutions to exchange these private
    >conventions on PUA usage, including exchange of character properties, etc...
    >
    >Why not then within fonts -- namely in Opentype tables for fonts built with
    >these PUA assignments?

    Sounds like a good idea to me. But they are useful only if developers
    choose to implement this mechanism. Unicode cannot and will not oblige
    them to do so.

    >If so, a fully Unicode-compliant system should offer ways to allow interchange
    >of data between parties of these private agreements, and ensure that the PUA
    >encoding conventions are isolated and kept within the domain of the private
    >agreement (for example by labelling documents, with tags containing a URI,
    >either by out of band encoding in rich text formats such as XML or precomposed
    >PDF files, oe either in band within the encoded text using special tags, in a
    >way similar to language tags, but currently Unicode has not defined such an area
    >in plane 14 for other use than just language tags).

    Philippe, I would not dare to propose such a mechanism, although it does
    seem to me to make sense. But again such things, and most of what
    followed in your posting, are useful only if someone chooses to
    implement them.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)