Re: Defined Private Use was: SSP default ignorable characters

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 17:52:30 EDT

    On 28/04/2004 14:34, Ernest Cline wrote:

> [...]

    My point is that, according to what Ken has written, the PUA can be used
    for a picture font only if not only the end users but also the software
    developers have come to a specific agreement about that picture font and
    the identity of each character in it. He seemed to reject my suggestion
    that developers might sensibly support the PUA apart from such specific
    agreements with end users, by supporting default character properties
    for each PUA character and allowing the glyph to be specified in the font.

    >- Pictures don't have casing.
    >- While a Bidi Class of ON would suit them better, L is adequate.
    >- They don't have any need for any of the minor properties of PropList.txt.
    >- The Line Break class does not usually matter for these characters either,
    > because of their usual positions and because XX is usually treated as
    > if it were AL, which they would have if they were given a more precise
    >value.
    >
    >Given the typical uses of picture fonts, the lack of the optimum Bidi Class
    >for the characters a picture font contains is not significant enough to
    >worry
    >about it in itself, especially with bidirectional override characters
    >available
    >in the rare cases where multiple symbols from a picture font are used in
    >sequence in the middle of a stretch of RTL text. ...

    Or, within RTL text, a picture symbol is followed by punctuation or any
    other neutral or not strongly directional character. Directional
    overrides might need to be used more often than you think.

    >... ZWSP and WJ can handle
    >the few cases where the default line breaking behavior of Line Break
    >class XX is inadequate. The existing PUA is adequate for picture fonts
    >precisely because they don't need very much. A case can be made for
    >improving the Private Use repertoire, but picture fonts have at best a
    >non-speaking role in the chorus line in that production.

    Agreed, but only if the PUA works in the kind of way which you and I
    envisage. If it works as Ken envisages, which is very close to saying
    that it doesn't work at all, you would be wrong to expect any support
    for any of the properties you have listed, because applications should
    not even try to support PUA characters of which they have no specific
    knowledge.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)