Re: Defined Private Use was: SSP default ignorable characters

From: Ernest Cline (ernestcline@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 17:34:59 EDT

    Oh? How does the existing PUA fail to support a picture font adequately?

    - Pictures don't have casing.
    - While a Bidi Class of ON would suit them better, L is adequate.
    - They don't have any need for any of the minor properties of PropList.txt.
    - The Line Break class does not usually matter for these characters either,
      because of their usual positions and because XX is usually treated as
      if it were AL, which they would have if they were given a more precise
    value.

    Given the typical uses of picture fonts, the lack of the optimum Bidi Class
    for the characters a picture font contains is not significant enough to
    worry
    about it in itself, especially with bidirectional override characters
    available
    in the rare cases where multiple symbols from a picture font are used in
    sequence in the middle of a stretch of RTL text. ZWSP and WJ can handle
    the few cases where the default line breaking behavior of Line Break
    class XX is inadequate. The existing PUA is adequate for picture fonts
    precisely because they don't need very much. A case can be made for
    improving the Private Use repertoire, but picture fonts have at best a
    non-speaking role in the chorus line in that production.