Re: Variation selectors and vowel marks

From: C J Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 08:17:12 EDT

    "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org> wrote:

    > I always assumed that VS's are intended to apply to just the immediately
    > preceding character, and not to a whole combining character sequence. In
    > my opinion, "Any other treatment complicates things too much." But
    > perhaps there are others who can tell us what the UTC intended for this.

    In font lookups, where a variant glyph form of a base character is displayed
    due to the presence of a VS character, the lookups for glyph forms of
    subsequent dependant vowel marks will be dependant on the variant base glyph
    (as long as the base glyph substitution has been applied first). So - in
    rendering - a VS character would normally affect the whole sequence.

    - Chris