Re: Public Review Issues Updated

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 11:05:08 EDT

    From: "Peter Constable" <petercon@microsoft.com>
    > If you had read the proposal,

    Without repeating yourself, why do you think I have not read it?

    > you would know why this was rejected by
    > the proposer and by UTC. You will notice that of the various letters
    > with stroke in the UCS, none of them have decompositions to < X,
    > combining solidus overlay >.

    Yes but <X, combining solidus overlay> already exists in the standard since
    long, and what you are saying is that, for IPA, the new symbol should be
    considered distinct from the combining sequence.
    Are you sure that the decomposed combining sequence is really not used already,
    given that it is already perfectly legal and standard?

    I agree that the CEDI sign is to be encoded separately (currency symbols should
    have their own identity detached from normal letters, because they won't be used
    to create words in some defined language, and are not letter-cased.)

    But what about <c, combining solidus> and <C, combining solidus>, aren't they
    what is shown in the Americanist sample text just posted before (where case
    applies to these letters). What is then the difference with this cased version
    used by Americanists and the symbol to use in IPA, when it seems clear that the
    Americanist orthograph was directly derived from phonetic analysis with IPA?

    If so, why only a lowercase c with stroke for IPA, and no uppercase C with
    stroke? Is IPA favored and not Americanist texts, when they seem correlated in
    their shared use of the letters? After all IPA also uses normal Latin and Greek
    letters, and is not restricted to its own extended subset.

    So the public review should better be refined by accepting both c with stroke
    and C with stroke with the same status as other Latin combinations used out of
    IPA (I think here about o with stroke and O with stroke). It should be the first
    focus, and then IPA could use the lowercase letter exactly like it already uses
    the lowercase o with stroke. The proposal would gain more acceptance (at ISO/IEC
    10646 working groups), notably if it is deminstrated that this is used for
    actual languages and not only for IPA notations (for IPA usage, a decomposed
    sequence would clearly be enough).