Re: New contribution

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 20:45:10 EDT

    Michael Everson wrote at 11:12 AM on Thursday, April 29, 2004:

    >At 10:42 -0400 2004-04-29, Dean Snyder wrote:
    >
    >>I don't view Phoenician to Hebrew as transliteration, particularly for
    >>Old Hebrew - they are the same script.
    >
    >No they are not. Phoenician is the mother. Her
    >most direct daughter is Samaritan (which will not
    >be unified with Hebrew).

    What exactly do you mean by "mother" and "daughter" here?

    If you mean the chronologically prior and direct ancestor, then I would
    be very interested in the evidence upon which you base such opinions.

    >Another daughter was an
    >intermediate Aramaic script which itself had many
    >children, only one of which was Jewish Hebrew as
    >used in Israel today.

    What are you doing with Old Hebrew and Old Aramaic in this scheme?

    >Hebrew, friends, is ONLY ONE of Phoenician's
    >children. Why should she be unified with her
    >Hebrew daughter? Why not her Old Italic, or
    >Greek, or other daughters?

    You have a pan-Phoenician view of alphabetic script development and
    dispersion. Where did you get it?

    >The Greek and Etruscan alphabets do not derive from the Hebrew alphabet.

    But you are not specifying which alphabet(s) they did derive from. Why not?

    >I do not propose to "disunify" Phoenician from
    >Hebrew. In my view, Phoenician has never been,
    >and cannot be, unified with Hebrew.

    You need to research this much better before making such authoritarian,
    "in my view", statements.

    >They are
    >different scripts. They are not font variants in
    >any sense of the term.

    Mighty strong statements with no authority given to back them up.

    Dean A. Snyder
    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project
    Computer Science Department