Re: New contribution

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 20:36:49 EDT

    At 10:34 -0700 2004-04-29, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >But what answer do you have to my point, made in more detail
    >elsewhere, that it will cause total confusion, and defeat the
    >purposes of Unicode, if some people use the new characters and
    >others don't?

    Frankly I'd say it's an unreasonable suggestion on your part. NO ONE
    is forced to use Sinhala, Brahmi, Myanmar, or Devanagari script to
    represent Buddhist texts in Pali. Scholars, and the Pali Text
    Society, happily ignore these scripts and use Latin. Similarly, NO
    ONE will be forced to use Phoenician script to represent early
    Phoenician language if they find it hard to read and prefer to
    represent it in Hebrew script, or in Latin.