Re: Defined Private Use was: SSP default ignorable characters

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 21:07:04 EDT

    John Cowan wrote:

    >Mark E. Shoulson scripsit:
    >

    >>It's not unlike what Hebrew does on a very small scale with its furtive
    >>patah: the vowel is encoded after the consonant but pronounced before
    >>it. It may not look too sensible when you read the sequence of
    >>characters--but who reads the sequence of characters anyway? *Writing*
    >>the sequence of characters may be a little more tricky, but generally
    >>things are read more than they are written anyway.
    >>

    >Yeah, but we're talking a *radical* rearrangement that would make
    >textual analysis practically impossible:
    >
    > a lebrethe glithnoile
    > slivirne pnena mriile
    > o mnele galra lenetha!
    > na-chraede plana-driile
    > o gladharmemni nenrotha
    > fnauliso el lninthano
    > nve aera, si nve aerano.
    >
    >Try doing sensible morphological analysis of *that*.

    If you know you're analyzing Sindarin, then you know what the
    rearrangement has done. Morphological analysis is a complicated thing;
    a program doing it can surely be smart enough to put the vowels back
    into logical order from canonical. And if you're not doing it by
    computer, why, where's the problem?

    >And of course, in the mode of Beleriand the text would be completely
    >different, and not just because vowel letters were replacing the vowel
    >signs.

    Of course it would be. And Arabic written in Latin letters has to be
    analyzed differently too (yes, the situations aren't really symmetric,
    since Latin isn't a native script for Arabic. But I think it still
    makes sense).

    Besides, you have a better idea? :)

    ~mark