Re: New contribution

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 22:28:19 EDT

    I wrote:

    > This text, along with this illustration from the second volume (figures
    > 019 to 1)
    >
    > http://www.tiro.com/view/NorthSemitic.jpg
    >
    > is instructive.

    There seems an obvious question for Michael arising from this illustration:

    With what characters -- Hebrew or Phoenician -- would you expect Birnbaum's Palaeo-Hebrew
    to be encoded?

    It seems to me that on visual grounds one would use Phoenician, but on textual grounds one
    would use Hebrew. This is quite problematic, and I can see why Peter is unhappy about
    having two equally valid ways of encoding the same text *represented by the same glyphs*.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com