Re: Arid Canaanite Wasteland (was: Re: New contribution)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 22:40:08 EDT

    Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    > I don't believe that anyone has any realistic technical
    > objection to Michael's proposal in any detail, and
    > since it is clear that failing any technical flaw the
    > proposal will proceed to be approved by the character
    > encoding committees...

    At the risk of launching the discussion into the aridity of deep space, I'm not aware of
    any technical flaw in the Klingon proposal. Surely the absence of technical flaws does not
    guarantee approval of *any* proposal.

    Ken, I think your characterisation of today's discussion is a little unfair: to be sure,
    there has been a lot of hot (arid) air expelled, but I think I understand better now Peter
    Kirk's objection to the proposal than I did yesterday, and there do seem to be genuine --
    and potentially technical -- questions regarding the encoding of Palaeo-Hebrew texts, in
    which context the ancient North Semitic letterforms are reasonably considered glyph
    variants of existing Hebrew characters.

    Perhaps the problem is not the proposed disunification of Hebrew from Phoenician (or
    whatever else it might be called), but the existing, implied disunification of the Hebrew
    block from the common ancient script.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com