Re: New contribution

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 11:20:24 EDT

    Philippe Verdy scripsit:

    > Suppose that a modern Hebrew text is speaking about Phoenician words, the script
    > distinction is not only a matter of style but carries semantic distinctions as
    > well, as they are distinct languages. It's obvious that a modern Hebrew reader
    > will not be able to decipher a Phoenician word, and even understand it if it is
    > transliterated to the Hebrew script.

    I own a book about Modern Irish which uses the Gaelic script for all Irish
    words and phrases, so the situation is analogous. Yet we do not encode Gaelic
    separately. I also own a 19th-century book about German which does the same
    thing with Fraktur print and Suetterlin handwriting. I can read German in
    Antiqua more or less, but I have considerable trouble with the Fraktur, and
    the Suetterlin is utterly opaque to me. Yet a Unicode transcription would
    be in the Latin script throughout.

    > Even though there's a continuum here, having the choice between a historic
    > script and the modern Hebrew script will be useful to allow writing texts with
    > mixed scripts (notably for didactic purposes, and vulgarization books). Without
    > the distinction in the code, it will be difficult to read a text using mixed
    > scripts unified with the same Unicode code points.

    To represent such documents one needs markup.

    > Modern Hebrew with its pointed extension for historic religious texts is already
    > complex enough without adding new historic script styles to that complexity.

    But all the archaic versions are far simpler, being plain R2L letters without
    complex-script properties like vowel signs, ligaturing, or even final forms.

    If this is not the case, we need evidence of it.

    > It may even be possible that some branches be disunified to cover the
    > case of left-to-right scripts or early ancesters of Greek, or the case of early
    > Brahmi and Arabic scripts.

    Archaic Greek is well-represented by Greek. Karoshthi has its own encoding,
    and rightly so. Nabataean, the ancestor of Arabic script from a glyph point
    of view, is yet another 22CWSA.

    Nobody proposes unifying the Greek-descended alphabets (though Pontic uses
    the Greek alphabet with a different set of conventions from standard Greek,
    notably the avoidance of final sigmas; see Nick Nicholas's site), or unifying
    Phoenician with Arabic, Syriac, or any Indic script. It's the 22CWSAs that
    are at issue here.

    > One day the Hebrew script will need to be stabilized to work correctly with
    > modern and Biblic usages.

    That day came long ago. We need a few adjustments, a few conventions,
    a few new characters, and support for non-Tiberian pointing.

    > Then writers and scholars will have the choice between the best scripts to use
    > to represent the printed texts. I quite sure that each branch will have their
    > distinctive orthographic system, their own sets of properties, etc... even if
    > there's a superficial one-to-one mapping from one to the other.

    It's not superficial. It's deep. Phoenician shin is Hebrew shin in every sense
    but the purely glyphic.

    > A too broad unification for
    > characters that already are not immediately identifiable by their apparent glyph
    > identity will just create a nightmare.

    Every case is different.

    > If we unifiy Phoenician with Hebrew too early, it will become nearly impossible
    > to introduce new vowels or newer left-to-right layouts, because the Hebrew
    > script will become too complex to handle correctly with these additions.

    What new vowels? And nobody proposes unifying *anything* L2R with the 22CWSAs.

    > Let's keep Hebrew clean with only modern Hebrew and traditional pointed
    > Hebrew...

    We already have non-Hebrew languages using the Hebrew script according to their
    own conventions, and not always in Square either.

    > The simple one-to-one mapping will still be possible for
    > the most direct ancestors of Hebrew, but this will not work with lots of
    > Phoenitic branches from which Hebrew is not an ancestor or child.

    Name them, other than Greek, Indic, Arabic, and Syriac which are already handled.

    --
    Do NOT stray from the path!             John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
            --Gandalf                       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan