Re: New contribution

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 22:34:00 EDT

    At 15:46 -0700 2004-04-29, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >Such problems were found with biblical Hebrew because (I am told)
    >accents were encoded on the basis of data from a reference book
    >rather than from contact with users. Unicode needs to make sure that
    >such mistakes are not repeated.

    Hebrew is not the mother of the Greek alphabet. Phoenician is. The
    problems you have with Square Hebrew (= Unicode Hebrew) have nothing
    to do with Palaeo-Hebrew/Phoenician/Punic, which have been proposed
    for separate encoding. And overloading the already complex Square
    Hebrew (= Unicode Hebrew) script with Phoenician letterforms isn't a
    solution either.