Re: New contribution

From: smontagu@smontagu.org
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 17:04:55 CST

James Kass wrote,

> Peter Kirk wrote,
>
>> This is based on a historically unproven assumption that this script
>> originated with the Phoenicians. I don't think it's even true that the
>> oldest surviving texts in this script are Phoenician.
>
> Would the oldest surviving texts in the Phoenician script be
> in a script other than Phoenician?

This misses the point. The question is whether the oldest surviving texts
in the "Phoenician" script were written by Phoenicians. The fact that it's
called Phoenician script doesn't prove anything about its origin: it may
be analogous to the term "Arabic numbers", which are Indian in origin but
reached Europe via the Arabs.