Re: Arid Canaanite Wasteland (was: Re: New contribution)

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 23:25:59 CST

Rick McGowan wrote at 11:21 AM on Saturday, May 1, 2004:

>Peter Kirk wrote...
>> I have yet to see ANY EVIDENCE AT ALL
>> that ANYONE AT ALL has a need for this encoding.
>
>Ahem. Define "need". On this list we don't have the right set of people to
>ask, actually. That is why the proposal has already been forwarded to
>other people on other lists who may (or do) want or "need" the encoding.

I do see that Deborah Anderson has posted a request for comments on the
Phoenician proposal (appended below) to some Ancient Near Eastern email
lists to which I subscribe. I think this is a great idea, except for the
request that all responses be sent to her or to two officials of the
Unicode Consortium. I would have preferred that the readers be directed
to the Unicode Hebrew email list or encouraged to discuss the topic
openly on the Ancient Near Eastern lists. Open discussion is much more
helpful and more efficient than isolated responses.

Respectfully,

Dean A. Snyder

Assistant Research Scholar
Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project