Re: Nice to join this forum....

From: African Oracle (oracle@africaservice.com)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 06:47:01 CDT

"Unicode will not allocate any more codes for characters that can be made
precomposed, as it would disrupt normalization. Others can better tell you
how to get the job done with what you have." - D. Starner

Thanks for your response. Unless I am missing something here. I think the
purpose of letters is the ability to be able to represent what is implied to
be said or what is said graphically with its accompanied meaning. If that is
the case, I should think that such representation should be done properly.

There is no problem with the dot below concerning all the letters I was
talking about, the problems are with the accents which are not properly
positioned and in font development for example there are standard positions.
Look at the following examples as sent by Åke

Ẹ ́ the accent is at the edge of the E with dot below - It is the same no
matter which font is used
On this Ọ̀ it almost fell off
éẹ́èẹ̀ - On all these ones they are not on the same level

It is not difficult to draw all these and make a better presentation and
representation of these letters. I must admit that Unicode is doing a good
job and will say it is better to do it well from outset especially where the
representative or someone with vast language of particular nation or people
is around to assist.

If it has to be, which is beginning to be, it has to be well.

Dele Olawole