Re: New contribution

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 08:21:21 CDT

Michael Everson a écrit :

> At 08:56 -0400 2004-05-03, John Cowan wrote:
>
>> Michael Everson scripsit:
>>
>>> You can buy books to teach you how to learn Sütterlin. Germans who
>>> don't read Sütterlin recognize it as what it is -- a hard-to-read way
>>> that everyone used to write German not so long ago.
>>

>> Sure. At some point, the same was true of Palaeo-Hebrew and
>> Square Hebrew, no doubt. Jews returning from Babylonian
>> exile with their nifty new Aramaic-style glyphs probably
>> saw PH inscriptions around them here and there.
>

> And REJECTED them as being a different script.

What does this mean ? How do you know how they felt ? Any differently
from the Germans that rejected Suetterlin as different script, etc. ?

While I'm rather for the Phoenician proposal, I believe one has to
stress structural differences and objective arguments rather than simply
repeating « it's a different script ». In this regard the treatment of
matres lectionis found in Paleo-Hebrew (if I'm to believe *Jeff A.
Benner* <http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/jeffbenner>(*) which I quoted in
another message) and the massoretic points in Square Hebrew may be a
structural difference.

P. A.

(*) http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/bookstore/101.html