RE: New contribution

From: Francois Yergeau (FYergeau@alis.com)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 13:17:51 CDT

Michael Wverson wrote:
> Square Hebrew has accrued to it an enormous
> typographical complexity, none of which applies
> to the scripts we propose to unify under
> Phoenician.

I'm not sure I understand why this argues in favour of encoding Phoenician.
Analogously, Latin also has accrued a large body of additional characters
and typographical complexity since Cicero's day.

Suppose I were to float a proposal to encode Old Latin, consisting of the
original 23-letter unicameral alphabet. Try this on for size:

> It is false to suggest that
> fully-[accented, cased Vietnamese] text can be rendered in
> [Old Latin] script and that this is perfectly
> acceptable to any [Vietnamese] reader (as would be the
> case for ordinary font change).

Would you agree to encode Old Latin on those grounds?

--
François