Re: New contribution

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 20:14:47 CDT

Peter Kirk wrote:

> On 03/05/2004 19:03, Michael Everson wrote:
>

>> Wedding invitations are routinely set in Blackletter and Gaelic
>> typefaces. I bet you £20 that if an ordinary Hebrew speaker sent out
>> a wedding invitation in Palaeo-Hebrew no one would turn up on the day.
>

> And I bet you £20 that is an ordinary English speaker sent out a
> wedding invitation in Suetterlin no one would turn up on the day. Now
> we just need some gullible couples to put our challenges to the test!

Well, it doesn't need to be a wedding invitation, does it? I'll give it
a try; I've downloaded a Sütterlin font, and I'll type up a small
document and see if I can get some English-readers to read it or
recognize it.

Even if they can't read it, I'll bet they can recognize it as Latin
letters and possibly English, which was not so for Paleo-Hebrew and Hebrew.

~mark