Re: Just if and where is the then?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 10:27:14 CDT

Dele Olawole, who sometimes goes by "African Oracle" <oracle at
africaservice dot com>, wrote:

> Did I develop and promote such encoding? I will not because I don't
> need it. - Doug

These were Philippe's words, not mine.

I had said that a new African 8-bit encoding with precomposed Ẹ́ and
friends would not be a good thing, in response to Philippe's statement:

> This won't be a problem if a new African standard is decided that
> decides to use a single precombined code point (this standard should
> then really indicate that the character is NOT decomposable).

Dele continued:

> Yes, I do and my experience is what I brought to the forum to ask for
> such implementations. For example, a University just got a grant to
> develop dictionaries for specific African language and they are having
> a heck of a problem with the characters or codes and have to contartc
> that aspect out which is taken more than 50% of the allocated grant.
> The end result is if much is spent on contracting what could have been
> simple implementation out, the project might not see the light of the
> day.

I guarantee you that creating a new 8-bit encoding specific to the
language(s) you are dealing with, and getting fonts developed for that
encoding, and trying to exchange data in this new encoding with others,
will cause more problems for the university than working with Unicode.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/