Re: Just if and where is the sense then?

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 10:29:24 CDT

On May 5, 2004, at 12:59 AM, R.C. Bakhuizen van den Brink [Rein] wrote:

> How well does Mac/Apple software [I'm not talking about the 'X'
> op.sys] support Unicode?

Not as well as we would like, although the potential is there through
ATSUI and MLTE. I should point out, however, that the probability of
getting the pre-X versions of the Mac OS to support new 8-bit character
sets is exactly 0.

I repeat: Support for a new 8-bit standard isn't free. Software and
operating systems need to be revised to do it, and you're you're far
more likely to find the software and OS you use revised to use Unicode
than you are to find it revised to use a new 8-bit standard.

========
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jhjenkins@mac.com