Re: Just if and where is the sense then?

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 13:32:50 CDT

On May 5, 2004, at 12:09 PM, Antoine Leca wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 05, 2004 5:29 PM, John Jenkins va escriure:
>> I should point out, however, that the probability of
>> getting the pre-X versions of the Mac OS to support new 8-bit
>> character sets is exactly 0.
>
> Would the various Indian scripts not yet covered by ILK, count as "new
> character sets"?

Yes. There is no way Apple is going to spend any money to get any
additional scripts working on Mac OS 9 or earlier.

> Of course, it needs fonts, and I know they are currently lacking. But
> assuming they existed...

It isn't just the fonts; it's the shaping engine. WorldScript I would
have to be rewritten, and since virtually nobody out there uses
WorldScript I, it wouldn't do you any good anyway.

> Cost to produce appears low (a few resources), and the ROI might even
> be
> positive. At least it seems so, looking from outside.

It is surprisingly expensive.

========
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com