Re: Proposal to add QAMATS QATAN to the BMP of the UCS

From: Simon Montagu (smontagu@smontagu.org)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 05:20:50 CDT

Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> However, since qamats-qatans only occur in unstressed syllables, such a
> thing would be rare.
>
> Actually, no: some accents go on unstressed syllables. For example, a
> dehi could coexist with a qamats-qatan. Psalms 4:2 has a qamats-qatan
> on the same letter as GERESH MUQDAM, as do others. Psalms 9:14 has one
> with a DEHI. Exodus 34:11 has one with a QADMA.

The first word of Psalm 35, 10 has (prima facie) a qamats-qatan with a
merkha, but I believe that just because of that it's controversial what
kind of qamats it is. When the verse appears in the Nishmat prayer on
Shabbat morning, Rinat Yisrael prints it as a regular qamats, and the
prayer book of the Spanish and Portuguese congregation in London, which
don't distinguish between the two kinds of qamats, mark it with a meteg
(and they pronounce the verse "kal atzmotai tomarna..."). What does the
Simanim Tehillim do there?

There's a masoretic note on the word in BHS "ב בטע" which I understand
to mean "there are two instances of the word כל with an accent", but I
don't know how to go about finding the other one. I guesss I could grep
for it...